Best Pet Insurance companies in India – I am very happy that you have decided to buy Pet Insurance for your dog/cat or any other pet you have. It is a very good thing that you care for your pet and treat him/her as your family member.
But before buying insurance for your pet do you know which are the best pet insurance companies in India that will cover all your dog’s expenses? If not, don’t worry below I have shared with you Top 3 companies that will help you to buy and insure your pet in India.
Have a look at the topics we are going to cover in this article.
What is Pet Insurance?
Pet Insurance is new to India and is gaining popularity slowly. Most of the pet owners don’t know about this policy, for those I just want to explain to them about this insurance in a few words.
Pet Insurance is similar to Human insurance, But in Pet insurance, you get compensation offered by Pet insurance companies against any specified illness or injuries of your pet caused by accidents, Here you will get lots of inclusions than Human insurance.
There are total 3 types of Pet Insurance, they are:
- Lifetime Cover
- Time limited Cover
- Money limit Cover
Lifetime cover protects the pet against long-term illness or diseases such as arthritis. The policyholder or a pet owner who bought a lifetime pet insurance policy will receive an amount every year for the treatment of their pet.
Time Limited Cover
The Time-limited pet insurance policy protects a pet for a specific period only after the pet has suffered an injury.
Money limit Cover
Here in the Money limit pet insurance policy it can be used until the money limit is reached.
Why should you insure your Pet in India?
Pet Insurance is a must to have insurance if you have a dog or cat or any other pet. As it covers the medical expenses of your pet, it helps you to give more attention to your dog’s health, and many other benefits are given below.
Benefits of Pet Insurance
First, tell me, have you insured yourself? If yes then you know the importance of it better than me, right? Health insurance is used in so many ways, it saves our money and gives us peace of mind.
Just like it, the pet health insurance helps you in multiple ways as given below:
1. Pet Insurance helps you to save your pocket savings
Whenever your pet gets sick, you do not need to remove your savings to pay for your pet’s care, because the pet insurance companies will look after it, they will pay for your pet’s vet visit, for the treatment, surgeries, etc.
2. Pet insurance gives you peace of mind
Yes, by having pet insurance, if anything happens to your dog or pet in the future like if he fell sick and at that time you don’t have enough money for his treatment, you need not worry, because you already have insured your dog.
3. Pet Insurance may compensate you for your pet’s loss of life and theft.
For example – In the future, If your dog is met with an accident and God forbid he dies at that time the pet insurance companies will compensate you for your pet’s loss.
4. Covers Third party liabilities
If your dog injures or destroys someone else’s property or pet, then the pet insurance company from where you had insured your dog will help you to cover that.
5. Pet insurance cost of advertising
The cost of advertising a reward for returning your lost pet.
6. Pet Insurance companies Allows you to pick your own Veterinarian
Pet Health insurance is completely different from Human health Insurance policies because here companies allow you to choose the veterinarian of your choice. whereas Human Health Insurance requires you to use a specific health doctor.
List of Best Pet insurance companies in India
1. UNITED INDIA INSURANCE COMPANY LTD
The United India Insurance Company is the best insurance provider offers a pet insurance policy for almost all indigenous and exotic animal breeds. The policy covers the pet against permanent total disability and death due to an accident.
The pet insurance in this company comes under Cattle and livestock Insurance scheme but you can also insure your pets like cats, dogs, etc. This is also the best pet insurance company for cats.
Risks covered by this insurance provider
- It covers the death of a dog or other pet due to accidents including cyclones, fire lightning flood, and/or disease contracted or occurred during the currency of the policy period.
- The policy also covers the dog/pet against total disability.
2. THE ORIENTAL INSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
The Oriental insurance company comes Second on the list of pet insurance companies in India 2022. This company provides insurance against the death of your Dog or during the treatment of diseases. The policy has an exclusive dog insurance policy for dogs.
Their policy covers the Watch Dogs, Hunting dogs, Sheepdogs, Indigenous and crossbred which are pets. Oriental is a leading insurance company in India which also offers insurance coverage for Elephants, horses, and other pet animals.
What are the requirements to buy pet/dog insurance online/offline?
- To avail of the insurance of your pet, your dog’s age must be between 8 Weeks to 8 Years.
- The dogs covered by insurance must be suitably identified by the following methods:
1. Nose Print
2. Coloured photograph
3. To Read more Requirements visit orientalinsurance.org.in (Click Here) Website.
Major Exclusions of Oriental policy
- If your dog is suffering from diseases like Rabies, and Canine Distemper then they will not be insured.
- The only way to get covered is if vaccination has been provided to these diseases and the certification by a veterinary doctor is produced.
3. THE NEW INDIA ASSURANCE CO.LTD
This policy is best for pet insurance as it offers insurance for multiple pets like Dogs(for sure), Sheep insurance, Goat insurance, Pig insurance, Poultry insurance, Rabbit, Elephant, Fish Insurance, Cattle insurance, etc.
Dogs are insured against death due to accidents and/or diseases contracted during the period of insurance subject to usual terms, conditions, and exclusions of the policy.
The requirements to assure New India Assurance policy are:
- Just like other insurance companies this also insure the dogs in the age group of 8 weeks to 8 years.
- Dogs of Crossbred, exotic breeds, and indigenous origin can be covered under the policy.
- The dogs covered by the insurance must be suitably identified by one of the following methods:
2. Nose Print
- Normal identification marks and breed, sex, age, etc., should be clearly described in the Veterinary Certificate.
The basic premium rate is 5% of the sum insured, READ MORE…
Major Exclusions of The New India Assurance are:
- Death of the insured dog due to diseases such as Rabies, Distemper, Leptospirosis, Viral Hepatitis, etc.
- There is only one way these diseases can be covered that is by vaccinating the dog and producing a veterinary certificate.
- Diseases contracted before and within 15 days of commencement of risk.
- The additional premium needs to be paid to cover risks like breeding, Transport, whelping risk, and third-party personal injury.
What does Pet Insurance companies cover
Before buying Pet insurance from the companies, make sure to check whether the policy covers the following things given below:
- Dog/Pet dies due to accident.
- The disease occurred during the currency of the policy period.
- Check whether it covers the treatment expenses.
- Met with an accident traveling via Road, air, rail.
- Death due to accidental poisoning.
What pet insurance companies do not cover?
Here are some of the things that pet insurance do not cover.
Note – Make sure to read all the policies covered and not covered in pet insurance.
- Pet insurance does not cover treatments such as vaccinations, flea, worm, and tick treatments, spaying, grooming, etc.
- They will not cover if your dog has got diseases like Rabies, Distemper, Leptospirosis, Viral Hepatitis.
- Pre-existing medical conditions.
- Pregnancy or giving birth.
FAQ on Best Pet insurance companies in India
1. Which is the best Pet insurance companies in India?
– Looking for the best pet insurance companies in India that can cover all medical treatment expenses, then the Oriental insurance company is the best pet health insurance company in India.
2. How much does it cost to buy Pet insurance for dog and cat?
– To buy pet insurance for Dog it depends on the breed and the factors, the sum assured for dog insurance ranges from 10,000 INR to 30,000 INR.
To buy pet insurance for a cat the sum assured ranges from 5000 INR to 20,000 INR.
3. Does pet health insurance cover vaccinations?
– No vaccinations are not covered under pet insurance.
4. Does pet insurance cover vet visits?
– Yes, many pet insurance companies cover regular veterinary visits.
5. Which pet insurance do veterinary Doctors recommend?
– Pet insurance is new to India and there are not many companies that provide pet insurance facilities, so it is difficult for Vet doctors to also recommend the best pet insurance companies.
6. How much is insurance for a dog?
– The dog insurance cost around 30,000 rupees in India.
7. How much is insurance for a cat?
– Cat insurance will cost less than the dog insurance that is around 25,000 rupees.
8. What is the age limit for pet insurance?
– The age limit for dog insurance is 8 weeks to 8 years.
9. Is pet insurance available in India?
– Yes, Pet insurance is available in India. Many insurance companies in India provide insurance for dogs, cats, pigs, horses, and all other pets.
Some of the pet insurance companies are Bajaj Allianz, Oriental Insurance, New India Assurance, United India Insurance, etc.
10. Does Pet Insurance increase with age?
– Yes, the pet insurance you buy for your dog or cat will increase the price every year as the age of your pet increases.
11. How much a month is pet insurance?
– In India the pet insurance premium starts from 300 rupees.
Before ending this article on Best Pet Insurance Companies in India, I want to clear you that yourpetscare.in does not recommend or endorse any of the pet insurance policies shown in this blog post. The companies mentioned here are just for the information or for the knowledge that these companies provide insurance for your pet in India.
One last thing you should be aware of buying the Insurance policy is to read the document papers and policies carefully and make sure it is approved by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India.